QUALIFICATIONS (MINIMUM EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE):
- Bachelor’s Degree in Elementary or Secondary Education or education-related degree.
- Current and valid teaching certification from the Missouri Department of Elementary and Secondary Education.
- Requires the ability to work well and communicate with children, parents, and other program personnel.
- Requires skills in planning, directing and conducting activities to meet the summer program goals.
- Assists with the coordination and management of the curriculum.
- Must pass a background screening.
Teachers will teach enrichment units and supervise students during the entirety of the Summer Program. Teachers will provide specified information to the Site Director for use by the Summer Program and for reporting purposes. Teachers are expected to maintain the tone and standards for the Summer Program through attention to program quality and maintenance of a consistently safe and nurturing environment.
PRIMARY JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Implements curriculum set forth by the Swope Corridor Renaissance Youth Program and aligned with the Missouri Learning Standards.
- Participates in the further development of the curriculum when requested by the Site Director.
- Considers the whole child during academic instruction, providing appropriate character building exercises, teaching children self-respect and respect for others, and showing respect for Site Director, staff and peers.
- Provides instruction, observe and evaluate student performance.
- Provides timely positive reinforcement, recognition, and/or routinely disciplines children appropriately showing both fairness and impartiality in each situation.
- Alerts Site Director of non-routine behavior problems that require additional assistance or intervention. Makes recommendations to Site Director regarding the consequences of serious disciplinary actions (contact with parents/guardian, suspension or termination from the program).
- Participates in a weekly meeting to keep Site Director informed of student progress, problem situations, and intervention needs in a fair and impartial manner.
- Monitors academic performance of students and alerts parents of situations that require parental intervention or assistance.
- Prepare academic and behavioral progress report to keep parents informed of their children’s progress.
- Demonstrates professionalism when interacting with teachers, counselors, students, parents, visitors, etc., ensuring that each person is treated with dignity and respect.
- Attend all teacher training.
- Adheres to all Swope Corridor Renaissance policies, procedures, guidelines, rules and regulations.
HOW TO APPLY:
Download the application and return the completed form via email to Robin Winfrey at HR@scr-upperroom.org or in person at 300 E. 39th Street, Suite 4A, KCMO 64111
We need volunteers who can work one-on-one with our students who struggle with reading. You can help!Learn More
JOIN OUR TEAM
New career opportunities are available at The Upper Room. Join our team of talented educational professionals.Learn More
We appreciate all the ways that people in the community are able to give, whether that means their time or money.Learn More