LINE COOK POSITION
Department: Food Service
Reports to: Kitchen Manager
SUMMARY OF POSITION:
Under the general supervision of the Kitchen Manager, the Line Cook is responsible to see that children are served nutritious and appealing meals, daily. These meals should be prepared by methods that fall within the guidelines of the Child and Adult Care Food Program (CACFP) and the SFSP (Summer Food Service Program). It is the cooks A line cook is responsible for the daily preparation of food various stations/areas of the kitchen (i.e., fry, prep).
- The Line Cook is responsible for the preparation and packaging of meals for approximately 500 – 1500 children.
- Sets up station according to central kitchen guidelines.
- Prepares all food items as directed in a sanitary and timely manner.
- Follows recipes, portion controls, and presentation specifications as set by the central kitchen.
- Restocks all items as needed throughout shift.
- Maintains established standards of sanitation, safety, and food preparation and storage as set by the local and state health departments
- Has understanding and knowledge to properly use and maintain all equipment in station.
- Assists with the cleaning, sanitation, and organization of kitchen, walk-in coolers, and all storage areas.
- Performs additional responsibilities, although not detailed, as requested by the Kitchen Manager at any time.
- He/she is also responsible for accomplishing a schedule of tasks that promote kitchen cleanliness and organization, as well as assisting other food service staff as needed.
- Assist in preparing and packaging appropriate quantities of food for an assigned workstation in a timely manner, assuring the quality and quantity of foods prepared.
- Assist in setting up work and serving areas; assuring that serving lines are properly stocked with adequate food, and supplies.
- Complete opening and closing checklists.
- Assist in operating a variety of kitchen equipment, appliances, and utensils in a safe manner.
- Assist with loading delivery trucks for food delivery.
- Disposes of garbage in proper waste/refuse containers.
- Closes the kitchen properly and follows the closing checklist for kitchen stations. Assists others in closing the kitchen.
- Attends all scheduled employee meetings and brings suggestions for improvement.
- Performs additional duties as assigned by the Kitchen Supervisor or manager-on-duty.
- Meets the attendance guidelines of the job, adheres to regulatory, departmental, and company policies
Prefer coursework in foods, nutrition and/or dietetics. A commitment to secure continuing education related to employment with the Agency is required.
- 3-6 months experience or any combination equivalent to sufficient training and experience to demonstrate the knowledge and abilities listed above to assist in preparing and serving food in large quantities.
- Must have a current Food Handlers Permit upon hiring.
- Previous prep or line cook experience preferred
- Basic understanding of professional cooking and knife handling skills.
- Understanding and knowledge of safety, sanitation and food handling procedures.
- Ability to work in a team environment.
- Ability to work calmly and effectively under pressure.
- Must have problem-solving abilities, be self-motivated, and organized.
- Commitment to quality service, and food and beverage knowledge.
- Must possess a positive attitude and work well with other team members
- Must be able to work unsupervised
- Must be able to communicate clearly with supervisor, cook and kitchen personnel.
- Be able to reach, bend, stoop and frequently lift up to 40 pounds.
- Be able to work in a standing position for long periods of time (up to 7 hours).
- Be willing to follow direction and ask questions for clarification if needed.
- Be able to work in a fast-paced kitchen environment
- Knowledge of CACFP/SFSP guidelines desirable.
- Must pass a background screening, including fingerprints as required by the organization.
- Must maintain good personal hygiene.
HOW TO APPLY:
Download the application and return the completed form via email to Robin Winfrey at HR@scr-upperroom.org or in person at 300 E. 39th Street, Suite 2M, KCMO 64111
We need volunteers who can work one-on-one with our students who struggle with reading. You can help!Learn More
JOIN OUR TEAM
New career opportunities are available at Upper Room. Join our team of talented educational professionals.Learn More
We appreciate all the ways that people in the community are able to give, whether that means their time or money.Learn More