QUALIFICATIONS (MINIMUM EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE):
- Must be 18 years of age or high school graduate
- Requires the ability to work well and communicate with supervisory staff, children, and parents.
- Requires skills in directing and conducting recreational activities to engage youth in programs.
- Must pass a background screening for child care workers.
SUMMARY OF POSITION:
Under the direction of the Site Director, Counselors will implement recreational activities with groups of up to 16 students. They will work as a member of a team to implement and support age-appropriate After-School Learning and enrichment activities. Counselors will serve as positive role models by displaying positive behaviors encouraging students to respect themselves as well as others.
PRIMARY JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Implements plans as instructed by the Site Director and teachers.
- Shows initiative, resourcefulness and sound judgment in developing activities for children whenever there is free time and there is a need for unscheduled activities.
- Shows respect for children and requires respect from children.
- Shows respect for supervisors and peers.
- Takes an active role in making sure that program objectives are met.
- Puts safety and security of children first, never leaving children unattended or in harm’s way and respond appropriately to situations requiring first aid.
- Supervises games and sports activities, without participating in horseplay with children or peers.
- Accompanies children on buses when en route to and from field trips to ensure children’s safety and maintain appropriate behavior.
- Sets a positive example for children to follow.
- Serves as a role model for children by leading and supervising children’s activities, setting a positive example, and showing respect to others.
- Observes children’s behavior and applies appropriate behavior-management techniques. Alerts Site Director or Teachers of excessive behavior problems.
- Does not become physical with children or attempt to impose discipline.
- Informs and alerts the Site Director or teacher to any incident that is out of the ordinary that may require attention or intervention.
- Makes recommendations to Site Director on behalf of children deserving of positive reinforcement, recognition, and/or discipline.
- Participates in meeting with Site Directors to discuss issues specific to the site, demonstrating teamwork and cooperation.
- Demonstrates professionalism when interacting with children, parents, Site Director, teachers, volunteers, visitors, etc. ensuring that each person is treated with dignity and respect.
- Adheres to all Swope Corridor Renaissance policies, procedures, guidelines, rules and regulations.
HOW TO APPLY:
Download the application and return the completed form via email to Robin Winfrey at HR@scr-upperroom.org or in person at 300 E. 39th Street, Suite 4A, KCMO 64111
We need volunteers who can work one-on-one with our students who struggle with reading. You can help!Learn More
JOIN OUR TEAM
New career opportunities are available at The Upper Room. Join our team of talented educational professionals.Learn More
We appreciate all the ways that people in the community are able to give, whether that means their time or money.Learn More