Youth Development Leader
Qualifications: (Minimum Education and Experience)
- Must be 21 years of age or high school graduate
- Requires the ability to work well and communicate with supervisory staff, children, and parents.
- Requires skills in directing and conducting recreational activities to engage youth in programs.
- Must pass a background screening for child care workers.
Under the direction of the Site Director, Counselors will implement recreational activities with groups of up to 16 students. They will work as a member of a team to implement age-appropriate learning and enrichment activities. Counselors will serve as positive role models by displaying positive behaviors encouraging students to respect themselves as well as others.
Primary Job Functions:
- Shows initiative, resourcefulness and sound judgment in developing activities for children whenever there is free time and there is a need for unscheduled activities.
- Shows respect for children and requires respect from children.
- Shows respect for supervisors and peers.
- Takes an active role in making sure that program objectives are met.
- Putssafetyand security of children first, never leaving children unattended or in harm’s way and respond appropriately to situations requiring first aid.
- Supervises games and sports activities, without participating in horseplay with children or peers.
- Accompanies children on buses when en route to and from field trips to ensure children’s safety and maintain appropriate behavior.
- Sets a positive example for children to follow.
- Serves as a role model for children by leading and supervising children’s activities, setting a positive example, and showing respect to others.
- Observes children’s behavior and applies appropriate behavior-management techniques. Alerts Site Director or Teachers of excessive behavior problems.
- Does not become physical with children or attempt to impose discipline.
- Informs and alerts the Site Director or teacher to any incident that is out of the ordinary that may require attention or intervention.
- Makes recommendations to Site Director on behalf of children deserving of positive reinforcement, recognition, and/or discipline.
- Participates in meeting with Site Directors to discuss issues specific to the site, demonstrating teamwork and cooperation.
- Demonstrates professionalism when interacting with children, parents, Site Director, teachers, volunteers, visitors, etc. ensuring that each person is treated with dignity and respect.
- Adheres to all Swope Corridor Renaissance policies, procedures, guidelines, rules and regulations.
How to apply
- Download application here
- Return via email to Kris Collins at firstname.lastname@example.org or in person at 300 E. 39th Street, Suite 4A, KCMO 64111
For more information, please contact Kris Collins-Director of Educational Programs at